Interview Questions: how to answer "Why should I hire you?"
The big question! And a typical interview question which is often asked in the first few minutes of an interview. Failing to answer it well could cost you the job, no matter how well you perform in the rest of the interview. First impressions really do count!
You must validate your application by demonstrating that you understand the employer’s requirements. The way to do this is to fully understand the job specification prior to the interview and then tailor your opening statements to suit the specification. Your recruitment consultant at On Target Recruitment will be able to give you all the information you need in order to prepare for any interview.
Make sure you give concrete examples of why your skills and accomplishments make you the best candidate for the job as well as mentioning what you have accomplished in your other positions. Take evidence of your achievements with you. Be positive and reiterate your interest in the company and the position.
Our tips for telephone job interviews
You only get one chance to make a first impression, so make it really count. Telephone interviews can be more tricky as you cannot see and read the body language of your interviewer but proper preparation and following these golden telephone interview rules will make it go more smoothly for you.
If you are having a telephone interview:
- Be prepared - this is a professional business call, not a cosy chat with a friend!
- Make sure you are calling from a suitable, quiet location. Avoid calling from busy, distracting places or outdoors. Try to use a landline. Mobiles and hands-free whilst driving just won't create the best environment for the call. Cutting out mobiles will just frustrate your interviewer.
- Make sure you have a copy of your CV, job specification and any notes you have made on the new company close to hand.
- Have some pre-prepared and intelligent questions to ask.
- Your sole objective should be to close the client as you would in a face to face interview.
Clients are very negative about lack of preparation and research - so make sure you give yourself the best possible chance of securing your new job. For more useful job interview advice tips, read our Interview Advice Factsheet.
But don't forget your Interviews Basics!
- Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
- Plan your journey in advance and allow extra time so you are not late
- A smart and conservative appearance is always the best bet
- A firm handshake, smile frequently, use plenty of eye contact, and make sure you use the interviewer’s name in your conversation
- Bring a copy of your CV and the company research you have done
- Prepare your questions in advance
- Take a pen and notepad
- Really know your facts and figures, e.g. names, dates, sales figures/targets achieved
- Provide a brag file of documentary evidence
- Be ready to answer that killer question – Why should I hire you?
- Always close
We're here to help
Your On Target Recruitment consultant is here to help you get your new job, so do get in touch if you have any concerns about your forthcoming job interview.
You might also be interested in...More resources
Interview Advice Video
Watch our video for practical tips on how to give a winning interview performance.
- 5 great reasons to register with On Target Recruitment
- Interview Preparation - A Guide for our Candidates
- Job Interview Questions Bank: common questions and how to answer them
- Free Factsheet: CV Advice
- Free Factsheet: Interview Advice
- Free Factsheet: Interview Questions
- Writing a good CV
- Interview Advice Video
- Job Interview Preparation Checklist
- Resignation Letter Template
- Celebrating 25 years of changing people's working lives...